Fun Sensory Activities for Dads and Their Kids
Sensory-Friendly Activities for Dads and Kids
- Point out hiding spots or areas that are off-limits because they aren’t safe
- Give your child a fidget toy to play with while they’re hiding
- Agree that you won’t shout or scare each other when someone is found
- Have an established phrase if someone can’t be found, such as “come out come out wherever you are!”
Exploring Sensory Bins Dad-Style
- Choose several containers as your bins. Bigger containers are better so you and your kids can really dig around freely. Containers that work include large food storage containers, plastic casserole-type containers, etc.
- Choose your sensory bin contents. Content ideas include food items like salt, uncooked pasta, rice or beans, and non-food items like marbles, “slime”, or smooth pebbles, and stones.
- Add tools. Feeling around in the sensory bins is fun, but scooping, pouring, and stirring are where the real excitement’s at! Add tools like measuring cups, spoons, funnels, and jars to get the most out of this sensory experience
- Play! Dig in, enjoy the different textures, feel the weight and the different sensations, and set an example for your child that different foods and objects are to be explored and enjoyed.
Dad-Hosted Movie Night
- The Toy Story Series (G)
- Homeward Bound: The Incredible Journey (G)
- Star Wars Saga (PG)
- The Muppet Movies (G)
- The LEGO Movie (PG)
- Daddy Day Care (PG)
- Finding Nemo (G)
- Frozen (PG)
- COCO (PG)
- The Land Before Time (G)
- The Secret Life of Pets (PG)
- Brave (PG)
Conclusion: Fun Sensory Activities for Dads and Their Kids
At the end of the day, spending time with Dad is its own reward! The specifics matter less than the opportunity to connect and show you care. At Sensory Scout, we salute all the amazing Dads out there–our hat’s off to you! And to all the single moms holding everything down, we hope you enjoy these activities too!
Remember, you can always count on Sensory Scout for the latest sensory news, products, and plenty of community support. Access sensory tools and toys, teletherapy sessions, and more through our Facebook Group. We hope you have a wonderful Father’s Day and the most sensory-friendly summer ever!